This post is sponsored on behalf of Green Chef. That doesn’t change my opinions or beliefs about this service!
Not Your Grandma’s Meal Delivery Service
There are a handful of meal delivery services on the market these days. Before this opportunity to partner with Green Chef, I have never tried one. I am honestly glad this is the company I did try though, because they check off every box I would want to see in a service like this. Come on, I’ll explain below!
Some of those checked boxes that are totally Girl in Healing-approved are as follows:
- Every component of Green Chef meal kits are USDA organic. I am a huge proponent of organic food and personally buy 99% of my meat and produce organic, only making sacrifices when I really need to.
- All of the packaging materials are either recyclable, compostable, or reusable. It’s important to me to lighten my load on the Earth.
- They share who some of their farmers are on their website. HOW COOL IS THAT? Supporting farmers who raise clean food and well-treated animals is not only morally right, but it means better food for my body. You are what you eat, as they say.
- They have meal plans for 2 people or a family of 4, and a number of different eating styles: Keto, Paleo, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Vegan, etc.
- Most importantly, these meals were tasty. All of the ethical efforts wouldn’t be enough to write about if the food wasn’t good, but it was. I even shared.
The Keto Meal Kit
This time around I tried their new Keto meal kit. I think it is so awesome they are expanding to include popular ways of eating!
Not sure what “Keto” is exactly? It’s essentially a high fat, low carb, moderate protein diet. Some follow it to resolve health issues, lose weight, or to maintain a more healthful lifestyle overall. Many of the principles are what I follow in my own paleo-style diet. Dr. Axe has a comprehensive article about all aspects of the keto diet and what to eat on it!
I don’t follow keto, but as I stated, much of the basis is similar to a paleo diet, plus I am always down to try health foods that align with my goals.
Green Chef sent me three meals, with two servings each. Each meal was very different from each other. They varied in proteins, spices, veggies, and cooking methods. It was so fun- like a culinary adventure! (That was cheesy. Don’t hate me).
Green Chef prides themselves on being very veggie-heavy, which I think is clear from the pictures. Cooking with so many vegetables was a reminder to me that produce can be the basis of a meal with a smaller portion of protein (if that works for you). I tend to make my protein the main star and vegetables a smaller portion (this is also because of having Crohn’s and not being able to handle a ton of fiber at once).
I am all for protein, but it can be expensive, so if cost is an issue like it is for most people, load up with vegetables and a portion of protein smaller than you would normally make. I found these meals to be filling, but also satisfying because they were flavored well.
All in All
I was thoroughly impressed with Green Chef! A service like this can be really helpful for:
- someone just started out on a healthy eating journey and needs step-by-step cooking instructions and inspiration
- someone stuck in a food rut and needs fresh ideas
- someone super busy and needs the prep work done!
Have you tried Green Chef before? I am interested in hearing other people’s experiences about the service. Let me know below!