Fall is upon us, friends and you’ll want to dive into these Gluten Free Fall Harvest Bowls.
When I finally get over the summer won’t be back for another 365 days (hasn’t happened yet), that loving spot in my heart for fall gets all warm.
I do love Fall.
I love the switch to heartier, warmer meals to complement the cooling weather. It’s like we’re preparing our bodies for the chilly days to come!
This recipe features lentils- just the basic green kind. Lentils are not paleo, as they are a legume and are excluded from the paleo diet like all beans and legumes.
However, they are gluten free and I tolerate them. Since I am a huge believer in eating what works for you, I don’t see a reason to avoid all legumes if you don’t notice any problems!
Aside from precooking the lentils (easy, just rice!) everything can be cooked in one large skillet. I love easy clean up!
Also, be conscious of the bacon you buy. The best kind has no added nitrates/nitrites or no or low sugar. If you can find pasture-raised bacon, even better.
Gluten Free Fall Harvest Bowls are warm, comforting, and hearty. This dish is perfect as a first fall meal because it is prime apple season!
Gluten Free Fall Harvest Bowls – Girlinhealing.com
- 1 package of bacon (free of added nitrates/nitrates and sugar-free or low sugar)
- 2 diced apples
- 2 diced shallots
- 5 cups chopped curly kale
- 1 1/2 cups precooked green lentils
- Cut the bacon into 1″ pieces and add to a large hot pan.
- Once the bacon is mostly cooked, add in the diced apples.
- After a few minutes, add the diced shallots, stirring everything together.
- When the shallots are translucent and the apples are softening, add the chopped curly kale.
- Once the kale is wilting, mix in the precooked lentils. Stir thoroughly and let the ingredients marry for a couple of minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl or 2-3 individual bowls.
I love the crisp, sweet apples in contrast with the bacon in this recipe. What is your favorite pairing?