This article contains an affiliate link. I earn a commission on sales made through my links. I only promote products I love and any sales I make help me to create valuable content that stays free to you.
Warm Lemon Water: My Most Important Daily Routine
If you are looking to start one new health routine in your life, make it be to add warm lemon water to your mornings.
When I tell people that I drink warm lemon water I often hear in response, “I add lemon wedges to my cold water.” And while it’s all well and good to add lemon to whatever you are drinking, the benefits of adding lemon juice to warm water stand out.
It Tames My Unruly Belly
For me, my digestive system is most “unsettled” first thing in the morning. Drinking warm lemon water right away mellows out my stomach. It’s like my daily digestive reset. After drinking it, I feel ready to go about my day.
Warm lemon water is my trusty sidekick that I seriously could not live without. I’ve been drinking it every morning for years.
To make this part of your daily life (and I highly encourage you to do so, if you didn’t get that vibe already), the process is pretty simple.
- Buy organic lemons. Lemon water cleanses and detoxifies. I highly suggest buying organic lemons even if you don’t buy other produce organic. It is counterproductive to cleanse your body while adding more pesticides to the mix.
- Wash the lemon before cutting. Even organic produce should be washed. It is still handled by people from the farm to the store.
- Warm up a mug of filtered water. “Warm” and “filtered water” are the keyword here. Not scalding hot, not cold. A bit warmer than room temperature is the best way for our bodies to take in the benefits. Use filtered water for the same reason as #1.
- Squeeze in the juice of half a lemon. To make your life easier, buy a lemon juicer like this one! For years I was squeezing lemons by hand and inevitably pulp and seeds got in, which I did not enjoy. This simple gadget makes my life so much easier! Plus, it gets way more juice out.
- Drink and enjoy the effects! Warm lemon water will be an acquired taste for some who are used to drinking cold water all of the time. Do not give up on this. It was weird for me at first, but because I noticed a hugely positive difference in how I felt, I have come to crave warm lemon water everyday. I don’t do anything else before I drink it!
Feel free to add ginger root, apple cider vinegar, cayenne pepper, or a drop of real maple syrup or honey for some variation and added health benefits!
Then… Go On With Your Day!
As soon as I start drinking it, I can feel the warm lemon water working. I can picture the toxins being flushed out of my body and my digestive system being primed for the day. Most of the time, I do not feel ready to eat right away. I have read you should wait 15 minutes before eating.
My advice is to pay attention to how you feel. You will know when it’s time for breakfast (or coffee!).
More Facts If You Still Need Convincing!
Warm lemon water will not only make you feel better, but it can actually improve your digestion, skin, and help you to make better food decisions throughout the day (whereas starting your day with cookies…not so much).
There are many benefits to drinking warm lemon water first thing in the morning. You can check out this list of 10 reasons written by Tasty Yummies.
Did You Try It?!
Let me know how this is going for you! I know warm lemon water can improve your life if you give it a chance. 🙂